Thursday, August 07, 2014

Carry On Packing for 10 Days! What Worked? What Didn't?

Hey Everyone, 

Brazil was amazing! 
but how did the packing go?

Packing for 10 days on a carry on for Brazil was the first time I travelled with solely a carry on. I didn't know if it would work out, but I had my fingers crossed and really hoped it would- and it did!


If you missed my video on how I packed see it here! My Packing Video 8 Days before leaving


What Worked:

- Pack It Cubes (Eagle Creek) these were a life saver!
If it wasn't for these cubes my stuff would 1) not fit and 2) would be all over the place and be a complete disaster. 
These cubes kept categories of items like dirty clothes, under clothes/bathing suits, shirts/pjs, bathroom accessories, travel accessories like money and my Filofax, etc.
- Clothing Folder kept all my clothes from getting wrinkled and taking up too much space, the items I chose to put in there were maxi dresses, long jeans, shorts, and light sweaters (though it did fit my bulky Lululemon sweater at one point)
- The refillable Perfume bottle was an amazing purchase I thought the $14 price tag was pricy but it still has perfume in it! I used it for like a month now. Awesome!
- Backpack, so I used a backpack for my iPad, electronics, things I needed easy access to during the flight, and my dads essentials as he didn't pack a carryon (just incase his bag was lost). 

What Didn't Work:

- My liquid limit. So I split all my liquids into two of the litre baggies they provide at the airport. I gave one to my dad in the backpack and one was with me in my carryon. I will have to slim down my liquids next time.
- Bra Holder. So this item was used once or twice, but I was never in situations where I needed it. Will I pack it next time? yes, but is it a must purchase? no. 
- Not planning for gifts or souvenirs- Visiting family who wants to send you off with gifts kinda put my in an awkward position, if it wasn't for my dad, i'd have to leave them behind.


My top 3 Tips for packing a Carry-On:


1) Wear the bulkiest items your taking to and from the airport and on the plane. I wore my sweat pants, a light sweater with a bulkier sweater on top and a rain jacket along with my running shoes. It was cold on the airplane too so that was nice to have layers.

2) Make sure your liquids all fit in the bag the airline recommends, for american airlines they limited to 1 quart size clear plastic bag. Or else you'll have to trash them (or give them to a family member)

3) Leave some space for souvenirs! you think this is a no brainer but when packing a carry on its hard to find space, so either in your handbag or in your carry on find some space for a few souvenirs BEFORE you go.



What are your tips for packing on carry on? I'd love to hear them as I probably will be going back to Brazil soon and will do it again!

FYI: Items used are on this blog post: Crafty Tuesdays = Packing Tuesdays!



Hope you enjoyed, 
Please comment, subscribe by email, pin or share :)
Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment :)

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS