Monday, August 18, 2014

1 Hour Summer Closet Challenge!


A few months back I challenged you all to a 5 minute organization challenge where you picked a "stubborn" spot (that seems to always get cluttered) and tackle it! To see what I organized click here.
Today I am challenging you all to tackle a little bigger of a project. A Closet. Any closet. Hallway Closet, Linen Closet, Kid's Closet, Your Closet, Sports or Craft Closet, any closet you have that needs some TLC. This is how I prepared for my 1 hour summer closet challenge.


Step 1:

Open your closet and stare at it. What do you not like about it?
What challenges for storage do you have?
What do you envision the closet looking like?
Get your mind going with ideas and maybe take notes while you look at it.

For me, the biggest challenge was that the closet had 3 boxes and in one of those boxes were 19 pairs of shoes just sitting at the bottom. (Side note: In the hallway there were 4 more pairs).
The other challenge or goal I should say that I wanted to accomplish was to find a home for my Crafting cart. 
So with this in mind I knew the 3 boxes had to go. One was hosting the shoes- I then had to find shoe storage. One box was empty! ugh! and the other was for a printer that we are using. With such a small condo- that box was going too.

Step 2:

Do some online shopping and research for suitable storage solutions in your budget. 
Ikea is a good place :)
I went to the IKEA closest to home and looked at shoe storage. I could have used a rack at the bottom but that would of taken up all of the floor space in my tiny hallway closet. Instead I knew I wanted something off the door or hanging on the rod. The two IKEA products I used are at this link. 
For $11 +tax, I found shoe storage! Yay!


Step 3:

Execution. The first thing I did was pulled all of the biggest items out first. All the boxes, and big items such as the steamer, back backs, etc. 
I then organized all the coats so that the hangers go all the same way to save space. Next, I hung my dogs hygiene/bath caddy-bag on two hangers because it is kind of heavy. I also put all the empty hangers there as well. I then opened and placed the IKEA storage solutions. I played around with the pocket system to be hanging beside the coats but it took too much space. 
Now that the floor was all cleared out, my crafting cart rolled right into the closet. I placed the clothing steamer beside it and on the other side of the cart I have a can of paint, and winter boots. My flip flops fit right under the cart :)
On the top shelf I removed the printer box and added a clear bin I already had which hosted some ink and punches. I also put on top my project life supplies and calligraphy supplies. To the left of that I stored my big shot and two backpacks. On the right is a basket that came with the home and stores condo important items and maintenance stuff. On top in the green bag is Soccer shoes and equipment.






THE RESULT






Hope you enjoyed, 
Please comment, subscribe by email, pin or share :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment :)

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS